Woman and the Body
CRITICAL READING RESPONSE GUIDELINES
CRITICAL READING RESPONSE (35%)
DUE through online submission to the Canvas course website by 7:00 pm, March 11
Write a response to any article of your choice from the list on the “Critical Reading Response Guidelines” that is on the course website. The “Guidelines” also provide detailed instructions for the assignment.
Grading criteria for the Critical Reading Response, Quality of: critical analysis, clarity, structure, and creativity.
NOTE:Late Critical Reading Responses will only be accepted with documentation of a bona fide reason that prevented you from submitting your response online through the Canvas course website by 7:00 pm on March 11. Ms. Loucks and I will not accept Critical Reading Responses via email attachment, or if they are placed in our faculty mailboxes. Ms. Loucks handles all matters pertaining to late Critical Reading Responses.
• At the top of the first page include the title, and to the left or right margin, a single-spaced heading with your name and student ID#.
• Identify the title and author of the reading you are critically analyzing either in the title, or in the first introductory paragraph.
• Your Critical Reading Response needs to be a minimum of five, full, double-spaced pages, 10 to 12-point font, and standard Microsoft margins. You can go a page or two over the five-page minimum.
• The teaching assistantwill not accept any Critical Reading Responses that are less than five, full, double-spaced pages.
• If you cite other books, essays, or articles include a reference or works cited page separate and in addition to the five-page minimum requirement.
• Summarize your chosen reading by describing its overall arc as well as its most central details.
• Identify the primary thesis, argument, issue, or research questions presented in the reading.
• Identify and briefly summarize a primary theoretical orientationthat the author/s use.
• Explicate how the author/s apply theory to their topic to support their thesis and critical analysis.
• Explicateat least two key examples (ethnographic,statistical, media, current event, etc.) that the author/s use to support their primary argument and critical analysis.
• Explicate any counter-arguments to thethesis and primary argumentsthat the author/s address (not all readings will do this).
• Critically analyze how effective their work is – provide a few specific examples of its strong and weak points.
• Describe and critically analyze an element of the reading that particularly impacted you.
• Explain how the work in your chosen reading contributes to the anthropology of the woman’s body.
LIST OF READINGS TO CHOOSE FROM:
(All of the listed readings are on the Canvas course website.)
bell hooks, ‘The Oppositional Gaze: Black Female Spectators.”
Bischoff, “Passing the Test: The Transgender Body and Identity.”
Bordo, “The Body and the Reproduction of Femininity.”
Chavez, “A Glass Half Empty; Latina Reproduction and Public Discourse.”
Costa et al, “Naturalization and Medicalization of the Female Body: Social Control through Reproduction.”
Edmonds, “Beauty and Health: Anthropological Perspectives.”
Lainez, “Representing Sex Trafficking in Southeast Asia?The Victim Staged.”
Mire, “In/through the Bodies of Women: Rethinking Gender in African Politics.”
Prosen and Kranjc, “Sociological Conceptualization of the Medicalization of Pregnancy and Childbirth: The Implications in Slovenia.”
Pylypa, “Power and Bodily Practice: Applying the Work of Foucault to an Anthropology of the Body.”
Scheper-Hughes and Lock, “The Mindful Body: A Prolegomenon to Future Work in Medical Anthropology.”
Schlikoglu, “Revisited: Muslim Women’s Agency and Feminist Anthropology of the Middle East.”
Speed, “States of Violence; Indigenous Women Migrants in the Era of Neoliberal Multicriminalism.”
Staley and Zhan, “Perceptions of Beauty Among Female Chinese Students in the United States and China.”
Stokes, etal, “Brown Beauty; Body Image, Latinas and the Media.”
Toffoletti, “Feminism, Technology, and the Posthuman.” Chapter One from the book, Cyborgs and Barbie Dolls.