Title page Table of Contents Body (Main body of paper, Only This area is counted as word / page count) Bibliography or list of references
Biol 107 Case Study Assignment
(Worth 60 points)
In this exercise, you will be given the opportunity to solve a medical mystery.
Below are three descriptions of three different illnesses. Each illness is caused by a type of bacteria (they are NOT caused by viruses).
Choose ONE of the three cases described below. Then determine which type of bacteria caused that illness and complete the assignment (sections A, B, and C) by following the outlined guidelines:
A. (4 points) Write a typed, well-constructed (complete sentences, proper grammar) report of not more than three double spaced pages.
B. (8 points each) Answer each of the 6 questions below- make sure you devote at least one paragraph to answering each one.
1. What microorganism causes this disease?
2. What is your diagnosis, and what features of the case were critical to your diagnosis?
3. How is this disease transmitted?
4. How is the disease treated?
5. What symptoms might the patient develop if the disease is not treated?
6. What is the prognosis with treatment?
C. (8 points) Include a reference section with at least 4 citations including at least one published reference. Use resources such as microbiology text books, encyclopedias, HCC Library databases (e.g. Pro Quest Biology, Pro Quest Nursing) journals and online medical and government (ie CDC) sites to research these questions.
Indicate the source of information you found in ACS or MLA format.
Do not forget to include in-text citations every time you borrow someone’s idea, even if you paraphrased it. Be sure to include the publication date.
Comment on the reliability of the source (why you think this source is reliable) under each reference in a bibliography at the end of your document.
All references must be cited, and direct quotes from the references must be indicated as such, using quotation marks. However, in science writing, direct quotes are seldom used. Instead, paraphrase the information in the reference, and supply the citation. In the case of plagiarism, all students involved will receive a “0” on this assignment. Thereafter, plagiarism will be handled according to the College’s Academic Honesty Policy, with possible failure of the course and suspension from the College.
Here are the cases for you to solve remember that you just have to choose ONE of the following cases to discuss in your Case Study. I hope that you enjoy this exercise!!
1. Sarah, an 11 year old, had to stay home from school on Tuesday morning because of a sore throat. Sarah spiked a high fever that day. Wednesday Sarah was feeling worse, still feverish, her tongue was swollen and had turned bright red, yellow patches appeared on her inflamed throat, and a sandpaper like rash had developed over much of her body. Bacteria cultured from throat swabs showed β hemolysis on blood agar and were Gram positive cocci in chains.
2. George loves camping and enjoyed many weekends tramping through the woods. About a week and a half after his last trek, Luis noticed a circular rash on the calf of his right leg; it started as a red spot the size of a quarter, but over the next 4 days it expanded an changed appearance; it had a reddened center, then a ring of normal color and then a reddened outer ring. The rash didn’t hurt, but he realized that he had a head ache and an elevated temperature, and his knees hurt. Luis’s doctor tested a sample of Luis’s blood for the presence of specific antibodies. No bacteria were observed in the sample.
3. In 2007 Carmen was serving as a medic in the Kirkuk Provence of Iraq. As part of her duties, she ran a clinic for the nearby towns. The war had caused severe damage to the area’s municipal water supply and sanitation facilities. Late summer of that year, a young man came to the clinic, very dehydrated with uncontrollable diarrhea producing almost a liter of ‘rice water’ stool per hour. Within the next week, 13 more people showed up at the clinic with the same symptoms. Although the patients were members of 5 different families, they all lived in the same part of the village, and all got their water from the same hand-dug well. Stool cultures showed curved, Gram negative rods
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH NURSING HOMEWORK HELP TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT
The post What microorganism causes this disease? What is your diagnosis, and what features of the case were critical to your diagnosis? How is this disease transmitted? appeared first on Nursing Homework Help.