What are the hazardous material/waste spill response issues for the university, and how should you prepare for them?
Congratulations! You have just become the safety manager for Podunk University. Your position is at the campus in Podunk, Colorado, and your predecessor left the job a year and a half ago. There has been nobody in the position during that interval. The commitment of the institution to safety is dubious at best, but you are looking forward to starting your new position and making a positive change. After introducing yourself to the secretary you share with a half dozen other, more senior, people, you decide to focus on hazardous material and hazardous waste issues since you just completed a great college course on those topics. You tour the campus and discover that the following departments and programs are yours to deal with:
The biology department has animal dissection, human dissection, a microbiology lab, and a medical laboratory education program that uses small quantities of a lot of chemicals.
The chemistry department has chemicals that have never been inventoried and a new forensics program (as in CSI, not in college debate).
The physics department has high-voltage equipment, lasers, and LEDs.
The English department has lots and lots of books and papers, as well as photocopiers.
The math department has lots of computers and whiteboards.
The automotive technology department has everything pertaining to auto repair, including solvents, asbestos brake linings, pneumatic tools, waste oil, and cutting and grinding tools.
The Massive Arena is one of the original buildings on campus and has a variety of interesting problems, including asbestos insulation, and the building is undergoing a massive renovation.
Respond to each of the following questions:
1. Where do you start?
2. Where should you focus your initial HazCom efforts? In what order do you tackle the rest of the departments?
3. What are the HazCom issues in the automotive technology department?
4. What are the hazardous waste issues in the automotive technology department?
5. What are the HazCom issues in the chemistry department?
6. What are the hazardous waste issues in the chemistry department?
7. With the Massive Arena renovation, who are the people to whom you need to communicate hazards?
8. What are your main concerns with the physics department?
9. What are the hazardous material/waste spill response issues for the university, and how should you prepare for them?
The post What are the hazardous material/waste spill response issues for the university, and how should you prepare for them? appeared first on Nursing Homework Help.