1-2 paragraphs per question
Continue the journey on the Beagle:
- September 15th, 1835: Galapagos Islands
- January 12, 1836, After anchoring in Sydney Cove, Australia, Darwin makes an excursion inland to Bathurst.
- April 6, 1836, Keeling or Cocos Island
- April 29, 1836: Mauritius Island (near Madagascar)
Links for your journey:
- On the Galapagos, was there an importance to the island location of each sample? How would this offer insight to variation?
- What is the significance of the differing finches? Would Darwin have benefited from having labeled each sample with the island from which it came?
- When observing the platypus, Darwin was at first convinced that they must have occurred from a separate act of creation. How would this animal challenge his theory of gradual change? How would it challenge any other theory of the time?