Perceptions of Psychology
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
• Competency 1: Apply foundational theories in psychology to current issues in the field of psychology.
• Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology.
This assignment is designed to help you differentiate between the professional definition of psychology and popular perceptions regarding the field. As you complete this assignment, reflect upon any misconceptions you may have had regarding psychology prior to beginning this course.
1. Read Chapter 1 of your text, paying careful attention to the textbook definition of psychology, the four goals of psychology, and the major theories and contemporary views in psychology.
2. Interview at least three different people regarding their definition of psychology. Ask each person to provide you with a brief statement defining what psychology is and what psychologists do. Be sure to choose people of various ages and educational backgrounds, and include both men and women as your subjects.
3. As you interview your subjects, pay careful attention to how your subjects match with the four goals of psychology (on pages 15–16 of your textbook), and the major theories in psychology (listed in Table 1.4 on page 29 of the textbook).
4. Record your subjects’ responses in Section 1 of the Perceptions of Psychology Interpretation Worksheet (link in Resources). Do not add to their responses.
5. Review the answers given by your subjects, noting the similarities and differences in their responses, as well as how the answers compare to the information contained in your text.
6. Carefully answer the questions provided in Section 2 of the Perceptions of Psychology Interpretation Worksheet.
7. Refer to Assignment Requirements for additional information.