Prepare: Review requirements for APA formatting. There are many resources found in the Writing Center, such as the following:
- Introduction to APA (Links to an external site.)
- Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.)
- Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
Write: Using the, complete the following task:
- Using the “Track Changes” function located under the “Review” tab at the top of the Word document with the unformatted essay, identify as many APA formatting errors as possible (there are at least 25 errors).
- Using the “Comments” function, correctly write out the APA rule that applies to the identified errors. You do this by highlighting the word, words, or error and clicking on “New Comment” located under the “Review” tab at the top of your Word document. A comment box will pop up at the right of your paper for you to write the rule to the error.
- Do not comment on repeat errors. For example, if two citations have the same formatting mistake, comment on only one of them.
- Note that there are some capitalization and punctuation errors that you may correct through Track Changes, but they are not the focus of this exercise.