FOUNDATIONS OF NURSING EDUCATION
As a nurse educator, you may be expected to lead and participate in the development and revision of nursing programs. Therefore, it is essential that you have the competencies to analyze internal and external factors and trends that impact the design and delivery of nursing curricula. You must also be able to use a variety of learning theories to guide the development of nursing curriculum and integrate relevant educational philosophies, modalities, and assessments to achieve identified program outcomes. The clear articulation of the ethical standards and desired learner outcomes to stakeholders will be necessary for achieving the requirements of state and national regulatory and accrediting agencies.
At Hartford Community College, the executive team has decided to change the current two-year associate degree nursing program to a four-year bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) program. As the director of allied health programs, you have been asked to chair the nursing curriculum committee, which is charged with fully designing the new BSN program. Your position gives you access to societal, economic, and institutional trends that are current in the field of nursing education. Taking these items into consideration, your committee has been tasked with gathering information and presenting it for the new BSN program. You are to ensure the new BSN program is consistent with state and national professional standards and guidelines. You will be creating a report to take to the board of directors for approval.
A. Create a report that contains the following components:
• table of contents
• components identified in aspects B through K
B. Justify the change from an associate degree nursing program to a BSN program.
Note: Please include one or two sentences to serve as a brief introduction to the justification for the change from an associate degree nursing program to a BSN program. Details of the justification will be amplified in items B1 and B2.
1. Explain two factors (e.g., social, economic, political, institutional) that influence the need for a BSN program.
2. Explain how at least one of the following external forces has informed the decision for a BSN program:
• The Institute of Medicine (IOM)
• The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health
• Magnet hospital recognition
• Patricia Benner’s Educating Nurses: A Call for Radical Transformation
• Contemporary literature on patient outcomes related to academic preparation for nurses
C. Select a recommendation from one of the following organizations or institutions to guide the integration of quality and safety initiatives in the new BSN program:
• Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN)
• The Institute of Medicine (IOM)
• American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
• National League for Nursing (NLN)
• The Joint Commission
1. Provide a rationale for your selected recommendation.
2. Discuss one possible barrier (e.g., faculty shortage, financial incentives) you may encounter as you implement your selected recommendation.
D. Develop an argument for how a learning theory (e.g., constructivist, cognitivist, humanistic) would support the development of critical thinking skills in the new BSN program.
1. Critique the selected learning theory, including the following:
• two advantages of using the selected theory in the new BSN program
• two disadvantages of using the selected theory in the new BSN program
E. Describe the key components of one of the following educational philosophies or conceptual underpinnings that can inform the development of the new BSN curriculum:
• multiple intelligences
• adult education
• critical andragogy/pedagogy
• narrative andragogy/pedagogy
• authentic learning
1. Critique the selected philosophical approach, including the following:
• one advantage of using the selected philosophy in the new BSN program
• one disadvantage of using the selected philosophy in the new BSN program
F. Select two current modalities for the delivery of the new BSN program (e.g., traditional classroom, online education, live web streaming, telehealth, social networks, electronic health records, simulations/clinical education experiences, competency-based learning).
1. Provide a justification for each of the selected modalities.
2. Analyze whether potential barriers exist in implementing your selected modalities.
G. Describe why formative and summative assessments will be used in the new BSN program.
1. Discuss at least two benefits of using formative assessments in the new BSN program.
2. Discuss at least two benefits of using summative assessments in the new BSN program.
3. Discuss at least two limitations of using formative assessments in the new BSN program.
4. Discuss at least two limitations of using summative assessments in the new BSN program.
5. Analyze how one of the following assessment methods could increase student success in the new BSN program:
• paper and pencil exams
• high-stakes exams
• classroom assessment techniques (CAT)
• computer-based testing (CBT)
H. Explain how the ANA Code of Ethics will be incorporated and applied in the new BSN program.
1. Analyze how each of the following legal accountabilities in nursing education will be incorporated and applied in the new BSN program:
a. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
b. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
c. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
d. copyright laws
I. Analyze how one of the following nursing accreditation methods would be incorporated and applied in the new BSN program:
• the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
• Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN, formerly NLNAC)
• state boards of nursing
J. Create a conclusion that includes a summary of the final key recommendations essential for consideration in this new BSN program.
K. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the Rubric Terms web link included in the Evaluation Procedures section.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in an assessment, the submission MUST include APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text of the assessment.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from outside sources, even if cited correctly. For tips on using APA style, please refer to the APA Handout web link included in the APA Guidelines section