For this discussion board post, respond to the prompt in two to three paragraphs (no bullets). Paragraphs should be organized by topic and not simply address the questions in order. Include examples from each of the texts, complete with MLA in text citations.
1.In her article, Vicki Madden discusses barriers, “seen and unseen,” as to why low-income students fail to graduate from college.
a.What is one “seen” barrier she mentions? How does that hold back low-income students?
b.What is one unseen barrier? How does it also hold back low income students?
2.Pittinsky’s article contends that although the achievement gap between Black and White students is largely publicized, the achievement gap between White and Asian students goes unnoticed, but it is significant and is not tied to parents’ income or education.
- According to Pittinsky, what are the traits in Asian-Americans that may account for their academic achievement?
- According to the Maxwell article, how can this positive label of being high achievers hurt some Asian-Americans?
- Response to questions should be organized into paragraphs by topic.
- Include at least one quotation or paraphrased idea from each of the three readings.
- For each quotation/paraphrase, include MLA style in text citation with the author’s last name and page number in parentheses (Last name #).
- Include an MLA style Works Cited list with the three assigned readings included at the end of the post.