“Growing Pains at Modern Office Supply” (pages 236-237 in the text).
After reading the case annotated above, answer the following questions as noted on page 237 of the text:
- What important elements are missing in the performance management process? In what ways would improving the performance management process help improve discipline and morale at Modern Office Supply?
- Explain ways the form used for hourly employees contributes to errors and distortions in the appraisal process. How would you revise the form to reduce those errors? Explain other steps that need to be taken to further reduce distortions in the process.
- What type of appraisal method would you recommend that would be more effective for the hourly employees? Construct an appropriate form for the delivery driver position.
- How can the appraisal process for the managers be improved?
- Research: Find two online examples of performance appraisals for hourly employees that are more effective than the example in the case. For each example, explain where it comes from, who uses it, and the elements that make it more effective.