Your assignment is to write an essay based on quotes from Thomas Jefferson. The quotes you choose from can be found here:
- Go to the front page of the site and click on the table of contents for the quotes.
2. The quotes are divided into several categories. Peruse the quotes and find a subject area that interests you for this essay.
3. Choose 2 quotes (ideally from the same subject area) and write an analytical essay based around the quotes you choose (you don’t need footnotes, just be analytical). The essay should discuss not only what Jefferson was trying to tell us, but the larger message behind them in relation to the American founding, the Constitution, and the Enlightenment theory from which it all flowed. You may also relate contemporary political issues to Jefferson’s writings. Your essay should be analytical in nature, with at least 3 solid paragraphs.
4. The essay will be graded on quality for a maximum of 10 points.
5. You should upload your essay in Word in .doc or .docx format.
6. Late assignments will get a point deduction.