Assignment 2: Choosing a Distributor
Due Week 10 and worth 230 points
Today’s hospitality managers have many options when choosing a purchasing distributor for their business. These distributors range from large distribution firms that carry anything a hospitality company needs to small niche suppliers that specialize in a specific category of products.
For this assignment, you will choose one (1) major food / equipment distributor from the list below and conduct an in-depth research study.
List of U.S. broadline food service distrubutors, select one (1):
- U.S. Food Service
- Performance Food Group
- Gordon Food Service
- Food Services America
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Choose one (1) distributor company and provide a brief overview including:
- a history of the company
- the geographical areas that they serve
- a high-level list of supplies they offer (by category)
- the main competitors
- Choose one (1) competitive distribution company and compare and contrast five (5) similar products (offered by both firms) in the areas of price, quality, and value. Create a table to represent the data.
- Provide an overview of this company’s payment policy including:
- the objective of payment policy
- the costs of paying early
- the costs of late payment
- the mechanics of bill paying
- Determine whether or not to choose this distributor as the main supplier for the restaurant chain you selected in Assignment 1. Explain the decision by discussing the following items:
- The impact of this distributor’s purchasing policy on the supplier selection.
- This distributor’s ranking based on the supplier selection criteria outlined in Chapter 12 of the Feinstein and Stafanelli textbook.
- The most important supplier selection criteria for this distributor.
- The comparison between this distributor and its competitors based on the most important selection criteria identified in number 4c.
- Use at least three (3) quality references.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the tile of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page, the reference page and the appendix containing your food budget are not included in the required page length.