, FDR and The Shadow of War
1.What was the American foreign policy in the years leading up to World War II?
2.How and why did America move closer to war between 1939 and 1941?
3.What was significant about the Neutrality Acts of 1935, 1936, and 1937?
4. What was the Abraham Lincoln Brigade?
America in World War II
1. What was significant about the ABC agreement?
2. How did mobilization and war affect American society/
3. Discuss the significance of the Battle of the Coral Sea, Midway and Guadalcanal Island?
4. How did the Allies win the European Theater? What was meant by the strategy of the soft underbelly of the Mediterranean?
The Cold War Begins
1. What were the origins of the Cold War?
2. Discuss the significance of the Truman Doctrine?
3. What was the concept of Containment?
4. What were the causes , conduct and consequences of the Korean War?
1. How did the United States get involved Southeast Asia and the conflict in French colonial war?
2. Discuss the significance of Brown vs Board of Education.
3.Discuss changes in American life-styles that surfaced in the ” fifties”
4. Explain the conduct of United States foreign policy in the postwar years in the Middle East and Cuba.
The Stormy Sixties
1. Evaluate President Kennedy’s New Frontier policy.
2. Explain how civil rights emerged in the political arena of the late 1950s and 1960s.
3. Discuss the Doctrine of Flexible Response.
4. How did President Johnson’s Great Society program fulfill modern liberals agenda for reform?
1. How did the conduct of the Vietnam War affect American domestic affairs?
2. Explain how Nixon tried to wind down American involvement in Vietnam.
3. Discuss the significance of Nixon’s Detente with China and Moscow.
4. Discuss the causes and consequences of the Watergate scandal.
The Resurgence of Conservatism & Post Cold War Era
1. What was meant by the Reagan Revolution?
2. Discuss the importance of the Strategic Defense Initiative ( SDI)
3. What cause the fall of Communism and the end of the Cold War?
4. Discuss the causes, conduct and consequences of the Persian Gulf War.
1. What was significant about the Clinton & Bush legacy?
2. In your own estimation what do you consider the greatest challenges the United States faces in the next decade?