Directions: Write a five (5) paragraph essay of 500 – 750 words arguing a positionon ONE of the topics included in this assignment sheet. Brainstorming and outlining should be included in the process of writing this assignment (we will do outlines in class). The outline should include the following: thesis statement, topic sentences, main points of support.
Please note that the following guidelines are related to the writing of this assignment:
1) All work, except for the initial outline, must be TYPED, DOUBLE-SPACED, in TIMES NEW ROMAN, 12-POINT FONT, according to the formatting guidelines in the syllabus.
2) Outlines and drafts of the essay will not be graded. However, they are required as part of the writing process, and papers completed without outlines and/or drafts will automatically lose one point for each.
Respond to ONEof the following topics:
(NOTE: If it is helpful, your thesis can—but doesn’t have to–bein the following format:
“STATEMENT + because + 3 reasons in parallel structure.”)
- According to some people, elderly drivers should be required to reapply for their driving licenses because with age comes diminished vision, hearing, and reaction time. How do you feel about this issue? Explain what you think should be done and why.
- Medical researchers, cosmetic companies, and others often perform experiments on animals. Many people feel that experimentation on animals is wrong and should be stopped immediately because animals do feel pain, and there are other alternatives. How do you feel? State your position and explain your reasons.
- Some people are actively involved in promoting and supporting a cause, such as the release of international political prisoners or protecting the environment. Is there a cause you actively support? Write an essay convincing readers to support that cause.
- Many people volunteer their time to help others, either through non-profit organizations, churches, or other charitable venues. Write an essay convincing readers to find a charity and volunteer their time.
- All-girl schools have been gaining popularity in recent years because of the belief that girls learn better when they aren’t competing with or intimidated by boys, who statistically get more attention in the classroom. Do you think single-sex schools are a good idea? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- We all have favorite activities that we enjoy. Write an essay convincing readers to try the activity that you enjoy most.
- Research shows that the average American watches as much as six hours of television each day. Do you think this is too much? Write an essay convincing readers to spend less time in front of the TV.
- Many junior high and high schools around the country now require students to spend a certain number of hours each term doing volunteer work or community service. Some people believe this is an excellent idea that promotes good citizenship and cultivates compassion. Others feel that forced volunteerism is not volunteerism at all. How do you feel about this issue? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- As part of the “war on drugs” and in reaction to an increase in school violence, many schools across the nation now conduct targeted searches of student lockers and backpacks. Although the Supreme Court has ruled that public school officials have the right to search students’ persons and property when they have reasonable cause to suspect weapons or drugs, many people feel this is a gross violation of students’ right to privacy. Others feel that since school officials are responsible for the well-being of students while they are in the building, they have the right to search for drugs or weapons at any time. How do you feel about this issue? State your position and explain your reasons with specific examples.