Adapting to our environment seems to be critical in today’s world. Do you think this is a result of technological advances or possible advances in human development? Thoughts?
1. With Allport focusing on conscious processes – do you think it is easier to analyze individuals using his theory – as opposed to say Freud? Or does it matter? Thoughts?
2. In this chapter we are introduced to the concept of basic tendencies. What is that and how you would you apply this to yourself? Explain.
3. Extroverts: love to be social, enjoy group conversations, easily accept change, get distracted easily, are more open, love attention and open space, and speak up in meetings.
Introverts: love to spend time alone, enjoy one-on-one conversation, have close relationships with few friends, listen more, struggle with change, are more reserved, reflect more with decision making, do not care for attention, and enjoy quiet spaces.
These are a few examples of character traits from each type of personality theory. Although, I am able to connect with both types of theories, if you know me, you will know I am certainly an Extrovert. It definitely highlights me on how i associate with others and my day-to-day interactions. I think this helps me strive at work since i have to interact with customers and bring in a happy and safe atmosphere, not only to customers or also my coworkers.
Class, can you provide other examples and your personal experiences with each theory?
4. I have occasion to interact with an older person who has dementia. I find that she displays the trait of neuroticism often. Do you think that this trait is driven by the mental illness or is it just a personality trait that existed before?
5. Adapting to our environment seems to be critical in today’s world. Do you think this is a result of technological advances or possible advances in human development? Thoughts?
6. Do you think it is necessary to have all 6 characteristics to be characterized as healthy – or not? Explain
(1) an extension of the sense of self.
(2) warm relationships with others.
(3) emotional security or self-acceptance,
(4) a realistic view of the world
(5) insight and humor.
(6) a unifying philosophy of life.
7. Do you think it is possible for a cult member to be perfectly happy? Thoughts?
8. It is interesting how Allport believes that self-awareness will grow and develop over time – as we know that people change and develop as they mature. I wonder if the basic, core dispositions really change all that much. As Allport says – these are not the whole personality – and thus I wonder if the characteristics and behaviors that are on the periphery are the only ones that change. What do you think?
9. If we look at the psychological aspects of adaptation – do you think that is something that is within all of us – or do we need to develop that trait?
The post Adapting to our environment seems to be critical in today’s world. Do you think this is a result of technological advances or possible advances in human development? Thoughts? appeared first on Nursing Homework Help.